Saturday, October 07, 2006

Making Applesauce

Apples are beautiful, aren't they? I made apple sauce today, the chunky kind that's a ton of work to make but that you're so glad you have in the bleak midwinter. I noticed as I made it that it was a beautiful and interesting process.


Aren't the peels cool-looking? They are one of Joey's favorite foods. He sat next to me and the peeler all morning and ate looooooooong strings of peel.


This is what the apples look like after they've been cranked through the peeler/corer/slicer.


A few years ago Jared went out and bought the biggest stockpot he could find. Most of the time it's too cumbersome to use, but it's great for a huge batch of applesauce. I filled it totally up today. Sam had a blast helping me stir the sauce as it simmered, laughing at his distorted reflection in the pot.


Canning season is almost over. It sure has been fun. Posted by Picasa

1 Comments:

At October 08, 2006 10:09 PM, Blogger Meechelee said...

Wow, Sara you are the most amitious gal!!! I know what gifts would be good for you! Canning jars! I am so impressed with all the lovely things you do. You are an inspiration for all of us homemakers, I just love you.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home